Ciudad Bolívar is the capital of Venezuela’s southeastern Bolívar State. It was founded as Angostura in 1764 and renamed in 1846. The town’s original name of Angostura was a contraction of its full descriptive name, Santo Tomé de Guayana de Angostura del Orinoco (Saint Thomas of Guiana of the narrows of the Orinoco). The town also gave its name to the Angostura tree (Cusparia febrifuga) which grows in the area. Angostura bitters were invented there in 1824, though the company which produced them later moved to Trinidad and Tobago.